The Vicar General assists the bishop in the governance of the diocese.
Father William Kelly, V.G., V.F.
(904) 249-2600, ext. 15
Street and Mailing Address
c/o St. Paul Catholic Church
224 North Fifth Street
Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250
Fax: (904) 249-3635
About Our Vicar General
Father William A. Kelly was born in Castlerea, County Roscommon, Ireland on June 15, 1934. His parents (deceased) were John and Katherine Finn Kelly. He has three sisters: Mary Beatty of Roscommon, Ireland; Dominican Sister Attracta of Raleigh, N.C.; and Ursuline Sister Katherine Kelly of Roscommon.
Father Kelly attended elementary school in Castlerea, secondary school at Summerhill College in Sligo, and completed his seminary studies at St. Patrick’s College, Carlow.
Father Kelly was ordained to the priesthood on June 13, 1959 at St. Patrick’s College. On Aug. 28, 1959 he arrived at the Diocese of Saint Augustine.
Since his ordination, Father Kelly has served in the following areas:
• Assistant Pastor, Good Shepherd Parish, Orlando, Fla. 8/1959 - 8/1960
• Assistant Pastor, Incarnation Parish, Sarasota, Fla. 8/1960 - 1/1962
• Teacher, Cardinal Mooney High School, Sarasota, Fla. 8/1960 - 1/1962
• Member, Diocesan Liturgical Commission 12/1961 - 7/1964
• Teacher, Bishop Barry High School, St. Petersburg, Fla. 2/1962 - 3/1964
• Assistant Pastor, St. Paul Parish, St. Petersburg, Fla. 2/1962 - 3/1964
• Administrator, Immaculate Conception Parish, St. Petersburg, Fla. 2/1962 - 3/1964
• Assistant Pastor, Epiphany Parish, Venice, Fla. 8/1965 - 10/1977
• Administrator, St. Francis Xavier Parish, Live Oak, Fla. 1/1967 - 6/1971
• Pastor, Epiphany Parish, Lake City, Fla. 6/1971 - 9/1977
• Administrator, Jasper Mission 11/1975 - 9/1977
• Member, Presbyteral Council 4/1976 -4/1979
• Pastor, St. Paul Parish, Jacksonville Beach, Fla. 9/1977 - present
• Chairman, Clergy Personnel Committee 1/1983 - 6/1986
• Moderator, Diocesan Council of Catholic Women for the South Jacksonville Deanery 9/1983
• Dean, South Jacksonville Deanery, 1998 to present
• Member, College of Consultors, 2003 to present
• Member, Presbyteral Council, 1989 to present
• Vicar General, 6/2004 to present